About SciFinder and SciFinder-n
SciFinder from Chemical Abstracts Service contains journal and patent literature (Chemical Abstracts) with references from 1907 - present, substance and property data (CAS REGISTRY), chemical reactions (CASREACT), chemical regulatory data (CHEMLIST), and chemical suppliers (CHEMCATS). It also contains the tables of contents of over 1700 journals. It is the online version of Chemical Abstracts, which ceased publication in 2009.
SciFinder-n is CAS' new interface, accessible as of 2021.
For those who already have a SciFinder login, SciFinder and SciFinder-n will be available concurrently for 2021.
When to use SciFinder/SciFinder-n?
- If you are looking for journal articles, patents, conference proceedings on a topic
- For synthetic pathways (SciFinder/SciFinder-n complements Reaxys. See video below.)
- For physical properties of substances (try the structure editor; SciFinder/SciFinder-n complements Reaxys. See video below.)
When should you use Reaxys vs. SciFinder/SciFinder-n? What help materials are available? View the video below. Earphones are highly recommended.
Who should use SciFinder/SciFinder-n?
- Chemists (organic, inorganic, physical)
- Chemical engineers
- Create an Account: You will need to create an account (free for UCalgary students, faculty, and staff) to access SciFinder.
Once your account is created, you can access it from anywhere with an Internet connection.
- Having trouble with the SciFinder password recovery utility? SciFinder may have deactivated your account - this happens if you haven’t used SciFinder in over 18 months. To reinstate it, email email@example.com with your SciFinder username, and its associated @ucalgary email.
- Access SciFinder or create an account
SciFinder Guides & System Help
SciFinder Web guides & training (CAS site)
University of Texas SciFinder Help & FAQ Excellent resource with many search tips (salts, polymers, language, refine, analyze, ...)
System requirements (OS, browser)
Schedule of availability SciFinder is essentially available 24/7 with a few exceptions (for database maintenance)
- Last Updated: Sep 11, 2023 10:14 AM
- URL: https://libguides.ucalgary.ca/guides/chem
- Print Page