Interdisciplinary guide to key educational video resources
About Online Video Resources (UofC)
For a complete list of video databases see:
- All database types - Videos for additional streaming video resources as well as for streaming video included in other (e.g. primarily text) online resources. For a broader selection enter the search term "video" in the search in database box on the left side of the page. Although most of the resources listed are subscription resources, a few are freely available on the Web.
- All subjects - film for film information
- General search for content use "film" in the database search box.
Online Video (UofC): Interdisciplinary
- Streaming video from Films Media Group
- >4,600 videos on topics in the social sciences, TED Talks, arts & humanities, science, mathematics, health, business, economics, and career counseling.
- Special features: ability to organize and bookmark clips, share playlists...
- We have a subscription which allows educational public performance rights, that is, classroom use of the films on the NFB web site for the University of Calgary.
- Curio.ca gives streaming access to the best in educational video and audio from CBC and Radio-Canada; a wealth of primary-source content in English and French, including the latest from CBC's award-winning documentaries (television and radio), news, drama, children's programming and more.
- is the exclusive Canadian rights representative for : Walt Disney Pictures, Touchstone Pictures, Hollywood Pictures, Pixar Animation Studios, Sony Pictures Entertainment, Columbia Pictures, Tristar Pictures, Screen Gems, Universal Studios Canada (MCA), MGM Studios, United Artists, and many more.
- Criterion-on-demand provides easy access to educationally relevant feature films used in Canadian Higher Education Institutions. This service includes: a bilingual website that offers title information, search capabilities, list new releases and accept title requests; more than 1500 titles; more than 1100 French titles; approximately 135 foreign language films with English subtitles; more than 100 documentary features (many from National Geographic); and closed captioned titles when available. Criterion-on-Demand represents a large number of feature film producers, including, but not limited to: Paramount Pictures, Paramount Vantage, Mongrel Media, Sony Pictures Classics, Alliance Films, Miramax Films, Warner Brothers, Lionsgate Films, The Weinstein Company, as well as a smaller number of independent producers. Our title selection includes 1920 classics, new releases, foreign films, literary adaptations, documentaries, animated titles, and independent features.
- Films in the Kanopy collection are licensed individually. To find the film, search the title in the library main search box. To see which Kanopy films we hold currently, click on the Kanopy link above. Licenses expire, so please check to confirm.
Online Video (UofC): Health Sciences and General Sciences
- A teaching resource consisting of 18 anatomy and system specific videos. Each video shows a step-by-step examination.
- Provides access to over 700 health-related videos from partner Healthology, Inc.
- Includes transcripts of the videos
Online Video (UofC): Hum./Social Sci.
- Offers thousands of American history streaming video title on topics ranging from jazz music to social issues.
- Allows students and researchers to analyze historical events, and the presentation of historical events over time, through commercial and governmental newsreels, archival footage, public affairs footage, and important documentaries.
Counseling and Therapy in Video v. I and v. II
- Offers hundreds of streaming video titles for the study of social work, psychotherapy, psychology, and psychiatric counseling.
- Offers hundreds of the most frequently assigned films in anthropology, ethnography, and social psychology courses.
- Targeted for inclusion are works by world-famous pioneers in the field, including Edward Curtis (In the Land of the War Canoes); Robert Flaherty (Nanook of the North together with his article, “How I Filmed Nanook of the North”); John Marshall (The Hunters, the entire !Kung Bushman Series; A Kalahari Family); Jean Rouch; Margaret Mead and Gregory Bateson; Robert Gardner (Dead Birds, Rivers of Sand, Forest of Bliss); Timothy Asch, Patsy Asch, and Napoleon Chagnon (the complete Yanomamo Series, The Ax Fight); and Asen Balikci.
- Includes field notes, liner notes, filmmaker biographies, related articles, study guides, and other context-enhancing, full-text materials.
- >1,750 English-language documentaries
- Survey of human history from the earliest civilizations to the fall of the Berlin Wall
- Global in scope: Africa, Americas, Asia, Europe, Middle East and Oceania
Online Video (UofC): Visual/Perf. Arts
- Offers hundreds of streaming video titles from the 20th century
- Selections cover ballet, tap, jazz, contemporary, experimental, and improvisational dance, as well as forerunners of the forms and the pioneers of modern concert dance..
- Over 1200 films ot classical music programs.
- Offers hundreds of opera performances captured on video through staged productions, interviews, and documentaries..
- Last Updated: Nov 7, 2023 8:59 AM
- URL: https://libguides.ucalgary.ca/guides/video
- Print Page