EBP - Nursing
Synopses of Syntheses Definition
Synopses of syntheses, summarize the information found in systematic reviews and other evidence. By drawing conclusions from evidence at lower levels of the pyramid, these synopses often provide sufficient information to support clinical action. Often short reviews including commentaries on the study and its methodology and results, and evaluation of the evidence.
The resources below often include more than summaries of systematic reviews -- be sure to know what you are reading. Look for the phrases: commentary, evidence summary, etc.
NURSING SYNOPSES OF SYNTHESES: Evidence Based Nursing
It is a bit cumbersome to search the Evidence Based journals as the search box at the top right ends up searching all journals from BMJ.
The following is how to search just Evidence Based Nursing (or the other medical Evidence Based journals).
- click Advanced Search from the right
- type search terms (e.g. diabetic foot ulcer*)
- scroll down until you see "Limit Results"
- x out All Journals
- scroll through the list to choose the journal "Evidence Based Nursing" by clicking in the now empty box
- Click Submit
Results are now only from the Evidence Based Nursing Journal
REMEMBER You are looking for synopses (commentaries or summaries) of syntheses (systematic reviews). You may have to review several of the articles before you find a synopsis of a synthesis -- focus on those that have "review" as part of the title.
Evidence Based Nursing includes more than just synopses of syntheses. Be sure that you have retrieved a commentary on a systematic review.
PUBLIC HEALTH SYNOPSES OF SYNTHESES: HealthEvidence
Aims to support evidence-informed decision making in public health by providing current research evidence in a searchable online registry. The team regularly searches for, screens, and rates systematic and narrative reviews, and meta-analyses from a variety of electronic and print sources. Need to register for a free account in order to be able to search.
HealthEvidence offers a simple search box, much like Google.
- However, not all resources in HealthEvidence are synopses of syntheses.
- You need to look for research that is summarized.
- HealthEvidence provides an icon next to summarized research. The "pencil icon" indicates that the research is summarized
- Last Updated: Aug 15, 2022 10:27 AM
- URL: https://libguides.ucalgary.ca/guides/EBP-NURS
- Print Page