Education - Mathematics (Elementary)
Welcome to the library guide that will help you locate resources for teaching elementary mathematics.
Included are web resources, journal articles (most are online) and Doucette Library resources that include professional teaching books, children's literature and multimedia kits or manipulatives.
- Early Childhood Education Library Guide (Doucette Library)A library guide that lists resources specific to teaching young children mathematics.
- Math Solutions: Free teacher resourcesFounded by Marilyn Burns
- The Math Forum: people learning math togetherIncludes a searchable collection of lessons, math new, a question-and-answer service for students.
- Teach Interactive: Mathematics (2017)No longer updated. Provides a listing of links to activities/games, interactives, and practice sites. Includes links to Learn Alberta resources.
Articles / Journals
- How do I boost my students' number sense?by Marilyn Burns
from: Instructor, Apr. 1997"This article will help you make sense of number sense and find innovative ways to promote it in your classroom." -- from the article
- Mathematics Teaching: Listening, Probing, Interpreting and Responding to Children's ThinkingThe perception of what a teacher says s/he does in the classroom may or may not match the reality of their actual teaching practice. This case study considers one second-grade teacher's instructional methods and pedagogical decisions when teaching number sense and her perception of what informed her teaching practice. This teacher supported students' development of mathematical strategies, valued debriefing time, and students' sharing mathematical strategies. Additionally, she listened to students purposely by probing their thinking. Her experience in a mathematics professional development program helped her be consistent in her beliefs about mathematics learning, her perception of her teaching, and the observed practice.
- Mathematics Council Newsletter (ATA)from: The Alberta Teachers' Association
- The Mathematics Teacherfrom: National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM)
- About Teaching Mathematics: a K-8 Resource (4th Edition) by Marilyn BurnsISBN: 1935099329Publication Date: 2015-03-25
- Children's Mathematics, Second Edition by Thomas P. Carpenter; Elizabet Fennema; Megan Loef Franke; Linda Levi; Susan B. EmpsonISBN: 9780325052878Publication Date: 2015
- Making Sense of Mathematics for Teaching Grades K-2 by Juli K. Dixon; Edward C. Nolan; Thomasenia Lott Adams; Lisa A. Brooks; Tashana D. HowseISBN: 9781942496397Publication Date: 2016-04-01
- Making Sense of Mathematics for Teaching Grades 3-5 by Juli K. Dixon; Edward C. Nolan; Thomasenia Lott Adams; Jennifer M. Tobias; Guy BarmohaISBN: 9781942496427Publication Date: 2016-04-01
- Mine the Gap for Mathematical Understanding, Grades 3-5 by John J. SanGiovanniISBN: 9781506337678Publication Date: 2016-10-24
- Playing with Math by Sue VanHattum (Editor)ISBN: 9780977693931Publication Date: 2015-04-25
- Last Updated: Jun 9, 2022 2:11 PM
- URL: https://libguides.ucalgary.ca/c.php?g=255590
- Print Page