APIs for Scholarly Resources
Web of Science API Lite
The Web of Science API Lite supports simple searching across the Web of Science to retrieve core item-level metadata. To get the full functionality of this API, you will need an
API key. The University of Calgary does not subscribe to any of the other WoS APIs.
How to get an API Key
- Go to the Clarivate Developer Portal
- Click on
Sign Upand then
Registerto create a new account if you don't have one yet. Be sure to use your University of Calgary email for the registration. If you already have an account, click
- Once you sign in, go to Applications from the top menu. Click on Register a new Application.
- Fill in the Application ID, Application Name, and Application Description.
- For the description field, describe how you intend to use the API, and what data you are looking to display. Be sure to mention the institution name (University of Calgary) as well in the field.
Public: Single Page Application (browser based app)for Client Type.
- Do not check
This application will use OAuth2.0 Flows (other than the Client Credentials flow, i.e. using redirects)
- Once you have completed the application registration, go to
APIson the top menu and click Information under Web of Science API Lite box.
- Scroll down a little until you see "Application" section. Click on
Subscribeon the application that you want to connect to the API.
- It may take up to two days for your subscription to activate. You will be notified via email once your application is approved.
The API supports JSON and XML responses. You can specify this in the HTTP header under
Accept field. The API returns the following information:
- UT (Unique Identifier)
- Author keywords
- Document type
- Publication date
- Source title
- The Web of Science documents per year that can be retrieved through the API is unlimited, but the number of API requests that can be made is limited to 2 requests per second, with up to 200 requests per day.
Wrappers are API-specific packages that streamline the process of making API calls. Available wrappers for Elsevier API:
- Last Updated: Oct 12, 2023 11:01 AM
- URL: https://libguides.ucalgary.ca/apis
- Print Page