Education - English Language Learners
- Supporting English Language LearnersLearn Alberta's comprehensive site provides: Alberta's K-12 ESL Proficiency Benchmarks, student writing samples; videos; programming information on organizing for Instruction, and other resources on a variety of topics related to ESL.
- English Language LearnersGo to Chapter 9 (pages 143-170) for practical suggestions for teaching ELLs, from the Alberta Education publication Making a Difference: Meeting Diverse Learning Needs with Differentiated Instruction.
- English Language Learners (ELL) - Calgary Board of EducationThis CBE website notes that "about one-quarter of our students are identified as English Language Learners (ELLs)" and links to supporting resources they provide.
- Working with Young Children Who Are Learning English as a New LanguageAn Alberta Education document meant for early childhood professionals.
- Supporting English Language Learners with Prior Limited SchoolingA practical guide for Ontario educators.
- English Language Learners (Videos)Three videos, including "Teaching and Learning in Multilingual Ontario" and "English Language Learners and Mathematics."
- ESL InfusionA very useful resource from the Ontario Institute for Studies in Education (OISE). Designed to provide researchers, teachers, and teacher-educators with resources to develop their professional knowledge around English as a Second Language teaching and English language learners.
- English Language Learners: A Guide for Classroom TeachersFrom British Columbia
- Centre for Canadian Language BenchmarksThe centre of expertise in support of the national standards in English and French for describing, measuring and recognizing second language proficiency of adult immigrants and prospective immigrants for living and working in Canada.
A sampling of books in the Doucette Library, or available as ebooks. See also ELL resources in subject-specific libguides such as Readers and Reading.
- Access for success : making inclusion work for language learners by Arnett, KatyISBN: 9780134632711Publication Date: 2018
- Advocating for English Learners by Diane Staehr FennerCall Number: 428.24 FEA 2014ISBN: 9781452257693Publication Date: 2013-09-18
- Classroom Instruction That Works with English Language Learners, 2nd Edition by Jane D. Hill; Kirsten B. MillerCall Number: ebookISBN: 9781416618195Publication Date: 2013-01-01
- Between Worlds, Third Edition by David E. Freeman; Yvonne S. FreemanCall Number: 418.007 FRB 2011ISBN: 9780325030883Publication Date: 2011-05-17
- The ESL/ELL Teacher's Survival Guide by Larry Ferlazzo; Katie Hull SypnieskiCall Number: 428.24 F46 2012ISBN: 9781118095676Publication Date: 2012-08-06
- Principles of Language Learning and Teaching by H. Douglas BrownCall Number: 418.007 BRP 2014ISBN: 9780133041941Publication Date: 2014-01-17
- Six Principles for Teaching English Language Learners in All Classrooms by Cheng-Ting Chen; Jayne Kraemer; Johanna Parr; Diane W. Kyle; Ellen McIntyreCall Number: 428.24 MCS 2009ISBN: 9781412958349Publication Date: 2008-07-17
- The Language-Rich Classroom by Persida Himmele; William HimmeleCall Number: 428.24 HIL 2009ISBN: 9781416608417Publication Date: 2009-01-01
- A Course for Teaching English Learners by Lynne T. Diaz-RicoCall Number: 428.24 DIC 2012ISBN: 9780132490351Publication Date: 2011-01-13
- Teaching English Language and Content in Mainstream Classes by Linda New Levine; Mary Lou McCloskeyCall Number: 428.24 LET 2013ISBN: 9780132685146
- Teaching English language learners: What the research does—and does not—sayby Goldenberg, C. (2008). American Educator, 32, 7-23, 42–44.
- Effective literacy and English language instruction for English learners in the elementary grades.from Institute of Education Sciences Practive Guide. What Works Clearinghouse, United States Department of Education, 2007.
- Preparing all teachers to meet the needs of English language learners: Applying research to policy and practice for teacher effectiveness.by Samson, J. F. & Collins, B. A. Center for American Progress, 2012.
- Early language and literacy development among young ELL: Preliminary insights from a longitudinal study.by Roessingh, H. & Elgie, S. (2009). TESL Canada Journal 26 (2), 24-45.
- Last Updated: Nov 27, 2020 3:16 PM
- URL: https://libguides.ucalgary.ca/guides/ELL
- Print Page
Subjects: Education, Undergraduate Education (Werklund)
Tags: education, english language learners, esl