Academic Publishing Demystified
Mental health & wellness
Academic writing and the publishing process can be stressful, emotional, and difficult. We heard from many graduate students who have struggled with imposter syndrome, feelings of hopelessness, and other negative emotions as they think about, engage with, or move through the publishing process.
If you're dealing with these emotions, you're not alone! At the University of Calgary, several resources exist to help. This page highlights general resources around mental health and wellness for students.
Additional resources that may be of interest to students and their supervisors:
- Peer Mentorship and Mental Wellbeing: this guide and microcredential course, developed by an interdisciplinary team of researchers at UCalgary, promotes peer mentorship among university students. Peer mentorship can be defined as supportive relationships among peers at similar stages in their educational or career journeys.
- The Quality Graduate Supervision MOOC (massive open online course): this course, developed by graduate supervisors from the University of Calgary and Athabasca University, has been designed to support faculty members in enhancing their supervisory skills and practices through guided and self-paced online learning modules.
Maintaining your physical and mental health is essential to your success as a graduate student. This page will highlight some important resources that you can use to ensure that you are performing at your best.
If you need immediate help, reach out:
For after-hours mental health support from the Distress Centre:
- Call 403-266-4357, available 24/7.
- Visit the Distress Centre website to access online chat from 3 - 10 p.m. on weekdays and noon - 10 p.m. on weekends.
For additional crisis support from Wood’s Homes Community Support Team:
- Call 403-299-9699 or 1-800-563-6106, available 24/7.
- Text 587-315-5000 between 9 a.m. and 10 p.m.
- Visit Wood's Homes website for live chat between 9 a.m. - 10 p.m.
Wellness Resources at the University of Calgary
Wellness Resources in the Library
- Last Updated: Dec 6, 2022 7:41 AM
- URL: https://libguides.ucalgary.ca/publishing
- Print Page