The Calgary Stampede
Calgary Stampede - saddle bronc rider 1981. Alberta Report Fonds ABR 259
Stampede Archives provides over 5,000 photographs as well as posters, postcards, menus, prize lists etc.
Alberta on Record to locate images in Alberta Archival collections - choose advanced search and search for "Calgary Stampede" limited to media type = image.
See Library Catalogue for list of slides and photographs in our collection
See Nickle for art works
See Margaret P. Hess Collection in our Special Collections for Stampede posters and banners
Contact Canadian Architectural Archives for architectural drawings of selected Stampede buildings
Books and local theses on the Calgary Stampede
- Calgary Stampede digital collectioncollection available through the Alberta Heritage Digitization Project.
- The Calgary Exhibition and Stampedes: Culture, Context and Controversy, 1884 -1923 by Linda Christine EnglishMA History Thesis, University of Calgary, 1999.
- Organizations and Communication Technologies: A Study of Organizational Adaptations by Kimberley MustardMA Thesis, Communications Studies, University of Calgary 2000. Case study of the Calgary Stampede Organization
- Taking Place: The Discursive Construction of Calgary's Victoria Park, by Joseph A CoopermanMA Thesis Communications Studies, University of Calgary 2000. Considerable discussion of the Calgary Stampede which borders East Victoria Park.
Shoot for the stars: salute to the cowboy. A souvenir record of the Calgary Exhibition & Stampede. Track one Calgary Heart of the Golden West (Wilf Carter) is available online from the Canadian Museum of Museum. Record is available in our Special Collections.
Archival and Special Collection Resources
Muklucks from Dene Crafts digital collection
- Calgary Stampede Archivescollection of digitized records including photographs, programs, records of contestants and winners etc.
- Dene CraftsThis digital collection includes art and artifacts "which derived from an exhibition of work by the Indian women of Fort Providence in the North-West Territories, submitted to the Women of the World Salute to commemorate International Women's Year at the Calgary Exhibition and Stampede in 1975." Donated by Margaret P. Hess
- Calgary Exhibition and Stampede fonds at the Glenbow Archives14.7 m of textual records. -- 644 photographs. -- 213 posters. -- 1 badge. Records date from 1879-2008, predominantly from 1899-1947
- Glenbow Archives Guy Weadick Fonds15 cm of textual records. 268 photographs
- Archives Society of AlbertaResults list from an“ Advanced Search”. Search for Calgary Stampede in “Scope/Content" using "Calgary Stampede" as search terms
- CalgaryStampede Historical CommitteeHistory from Calgary Stampede website - includes key dates and selected photos
Literary Works on the Stampede
- Last Updated: Jan 4, 2022 1:42 PM
- URL: https://libguides.ucalgary.ca/guides/calgarystampede
- Print Page