Skip to Main Content

LAW Self-help information sources for non-lawyers

This guide is intended to lead members of the public who are not lawyers to information that they may find useful in solving legal problems or answering questions about the law.

Resources for non-lawyers

This guide is intended to help non-lawyers locate information sources they may find useful. The tabs found above will open pages that have links to some of those sources. Please be aware that legal issues may cross jurisdictional boundaries.

The law library has self-help pamphlets on a variety of topics located in a file cabinet in the Reserve Reading Room: For Seniors, Environmental Law, Family Law, Going to Court, Legal Guidance/Assistance, RealEstate/Tenancy, Traffic/Motor Vehicle, Youth Justice, Human Rights, Labour/Employment, For Students, Wills and Estates, and Consumer Law. This material does not circulate - it must be used in the library.

The law library also has other resources,including legal dictionaries, access to legal databases and court forms including Alberta Surrogate Forms.

Visiting the law library

The Bennett Jones Law Library at the University of Calgary is open to all members of the public requiring access to the collection. The library extends borrowing privileges to Alumni and The Alberta Library (TAL) cardholders.

Reference Service will assist researchers with identifying and locating sources of legal information and other library resources. The Bennett Jones Law Library maintains a website with links to resources such as federal and provincial legislation, courts, international law and legal research guides. Workstations for access to the library catalgue, online research databases, Microsoft Office, and Internet are located throughout the library and in the Bennett Jones Law Library Computer Lab. Full text ebooks and journals are available through the library catalogue.

Our hours can be found under "Law Library" at Hours


Other search options at the library

The Library Search Box will search many library databases and collections.

For Flood Victims

Local service agencies may be of assistance. You can be directed to these services by dialing 211.

 Unions and employers may have assistance programs to help members, employees, and their families. Their services are paid for by the employer or union and should be confidential. If you are a member of a union, please be aware that your union may have a Benevolent Fund or other member resources that can help.

Basic Catalogue Search