Centre for Career and Personal Development Degree Profiles
When you study French, you’re not just learning to speak one of Canada’s official languages. You’re discovering new cultures and ways of life that are excitingly different from ours.
Key Skills & Knowledge
Cross-Cultural Communication: Intercultural awareness; knowledge and appreciation of other cultures; multi-cultural appreciation.
Public speaking and communication skills: Ability to influence and persuade others
Understand French language: Comprehensive knowledge of the French language: grammar and vocabulary; ensuring accuracy, conciseness and clarity of written information.
Language: Aptitude for language and acquisition; understanding of phonetics and ability to imitate sounds; command of grammar and syntax; understanding of language structures; understand historical language change.
Editing skills: Seeing patterns in written information; extracting salient points.
Synthesis and Analysis: Critical and analytical thinking: observation and decision-making; Interpretation; literary analysis.
Research skills: Information retrieval, presenting material in clear and easy to read written format; data collection; process and synthesize vast amounts of data and apply where relevant; clearly explain research results.
Organization: Organize and memorize detailed Information; able to meet deadlines.
Sample Job Titles
Please note some of these positions may require further training, certification or education. Check out the occupational profiles to review the full details for the occupations that interest you at alis.alberta.ca/occinfo
- Alumni Programs Coordinator
- Bilingual Coding Specialist
- Certified Translator
- Communications Officer
- Community Interpreter
- Conference Interpreter
- Court Interpreter
- Customs Inspector/Officer
- ESL Teacher
- Foreign Services Officer
- Health Administrator
- Heritage Interpreter
- Hotel Manager
- Immigration Inspector/Officer
- Import/Export Manager
- Information Specialist
- International Business Consultant
- International Centre Coordinator
- International Student Advisor
- International Trade
- Language Consultant
- Legal Terminologist
- Market Research Officer
- Policy Analyst
- Sign Language Interpreter
- Technical Writer
- Textbook Publisher
- Tourism Officer
- Travel Agent
- Website Designer
- Advertising/Marketing Agencies
- Airlines, Airports
- Cruise ship lines
- Broadcasting Companies
- Consulting Firms
- Cultural Organizations
- Culture and Recreation
- Financial Institutions
- Fundraising Firms
- Government Departments
- International Agencies
- International Business
- Language Schools
- Market Research Firms
- Media (radio, television,
- Museums and Heritage
- Non-Profits & NGOs
- Oil & Gas
- Policy & Planning
- Private Sector
- Public Relations
- Publishing Companies
- Translation & Interpretation
- Travel & Tourism
Associations & Professional Development
- Association of Translators and Interpreters of Alberta
- Canadian Association of Second Language Teachers
- Canadian Association of Applied Linguistics
- Literary Translators’ Association of Canada
- Languages Canada
- Modern Languages Association
- Society for Technical Communication
- The American Association of Language Specialists
- The Canadian Language Industry Portal
- Translation Agencies Database
Did you know?
Formal Career Assessments like the Strong Interest Inventory and the Myers Briggs Type Indicator can be helpful tools for your career development. These assessments have been used for decades to help individuals choose a major, explore career options during and upon completion of a degree and to further understand yourself in relationship to the world of work. Inquire with Career Services if you are interested in these formal assessments.
- Last Updated: Nov 27, 2023 1:46 PM
- URL: https://libguides.ucalgary.ca/guides/CCPD/degree-profiles
- Print Page