UBST 311 Guide
This guide supports UBST 311: The gendered city
Most of the resources below were discussed during the library session on March 3, 2020.
The friendly URL for this guide is https://library.ucalgary.ca/guides/geography/ubst311
Scholarly vs. popular periodicals
"Known items" and the library catalogue
LeGates, R. T., & Stout F. (Eds.). (2011). The city reader. New York: Routledge.
- search for "the city reader" (including quotes)
Ganim, J. M. (2002). Cities of words: Recent studies on urbanism and literature. MLQ: Modern Language Quarterly, 63(3), 365-382. Retrieved from https://www.muse.jhu.edu/article/22942.
A to Z list of all databases (All subjects dropdown --> Urban Studies)
Adding the FindIt@UofCalgary link to Google Scholar
Some tips for efficient database searching:
|phrase search||"built environment"|
and (decreases the number of results, often improves relevance). Use this to combine different concepts, e.g.
or (increases the number of results, broadens). Use this to combine equivalent concepts, e.g.
urbanism or cities
|truncation||feminis* = feminist, feminists, feminism, feministic, etc.|
|date range||narrows your search|
News & media outlets
- The overall tone of the article
- The overall point of the article
- Does the article have a bias? Does the site have a bias?
- Evidence: Who are they quoting?
- Did the reporter do the interview personally? If not, where is the quote from - what is the source of the quotes?
- How many sources of evidence are in the article?
- Evidence: What is missing; what is the article not saying?
- Does the evidence support the point of the article?
- Can you tell how "authoritative" the reporter is?
- Search off-site! ("laterally")
Also see the Media bias chart at "ad fontes media" created by patent attorney Vanessa Otero.
From our homepage, go to Services --> Interlibrary Loan
Bookable workrooms & workshops
From our homepage, click on Bookings to book workrooms and LabNEXT equipment or Workshops (e.g. EndNote, Mendeley, NVIVO, Qualtrics)
From our homepage, go to Hours & Locations --> Branches
The Gallagher Library is located on the ground floor of Earth Sciences. Books placed on hold may be requested to be sent there (or other location of your choice).
- Last Updated: Sep 2, 2021 2:57 PM
- URL: https://libguides.ucalgary.ca/guides/geography
- Print Page