Resources for course-based undergraduate research experiences
- Gentile, James, Kerry Brenner, and Amy Stephens. 2017. Undergraduate Research Experiences for STEM Students: Successes, Challenges, and Opportunities. Washington, DC: National Academies Press.
- Govindan, B., Pickett, S., & Riggs, B. (2020) Fear of the CURE: A Beginner’s Guide to Overcoming Barriers in Creating a Course-Based Undergraduate Research Experience, Journal of Microbiology and Biology Education, 21(2), DOI: https://doi.org/10.1128/jmbe.v21i2.2109
- Hall, E., Walkington, H., Shanahan, J. O., Ackley, E. & Stewart, K. (2018) Mentor perspectives on the place of undergraduate research mentoring in academic identity and career development: an analysis of award winning mentors, International Journal for Academic Development, 23(1), 15-27, DOI: 10.1080/1360144X.2017.1412972
- Healy, M. & Jenkins, A. (2009) Developing undergraduate research and inquiry. The Higher Education Academy. Retrieved from https://s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/assets.creode.advancehe-document-manager/documents/hea/private/developingundergraduate_final_1568036694.pdf
- Hensel, N. 2018. Course-Based Undergraduate Research: Educational Equity and High-Impact Practice. Sterling, VA: Stylus.
- Mekolichick, J. & Bellamy, J. (2012) Research experiences for undergraduates: Student presenter’s perceptions of mentoring and conference presentation by college generational status and sex. Perspectives on Undergraduate Research Mentoring 1(2). retrieved from http://blogs.elon.edu/purm/2012/04/13/research-experiencesfor-undergraduates-student-presenters%E2%80%99-perceptions-of-mentoring-andconference-presentation-by-generational-status-and-sex-purm-1-2/
- Shanahan, J. O. (2018) Mentoring Strategies that Support Underserved Students in Undergraduate Research. In Excellence in Mentoring Undergraduate Research, Edited by J. Moore, M. Vandermaas Peeler, & P. Miller. Washington, DC: Council on Undergraduate Research (CUR).
- Shanahan, J. O., Ackley-Holbrook, E., Hall, E., Stewart, K. & Walkington, H. (2015) Ten Salient Practices of Undergraduate Research Mentors: A Review of the Literature, Mentoring & Tutoring: Partnership in Learning, 23:5, 359-376, DOI: 10.1080/13611267.2015.1126162
- Shortlidge E. Brownell, S. (2016) How to Assess Your CURE: A Practical Guide for Instructors of Course-Based Undergraduate Research Experiences, Journal of Microbiology and Biology Education, 17(3), 399-408 DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1128/jmbe.v17i3.1103
- Spronken-Smith, R. A., Brodeur, J. J., Kajaks, T., Luck, M., Myatt, P., Verburgh, A., Walkington, H., & Wuetherick, B. (2013). Completing the Research Cycle: A Framework for Promoting Dissemination of Undergraduate Research and Inquiry. Teaching & Learning Inquiry: The ISSOTL Journal, 1(2), 105–118. https://doi.org/10.2979/teachlearninqu.1.2.105
- Wilson, A., Howitt S. & Higgins D. (2016) Assessing the unassessable: making learning visible in undergraduates’ experiences of scientific research, Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education, 41(6), 901-916, DOI: 10.1080/02602938.2015.1050582
- Wilson, A., Howitt S. & Higgins D. (2016b) A fundamental misalignment: intended learning and assessment practices in undergraduate science research projects, Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education, 41(6), 869-884, DOI: 10.1080/02602938.2015.1048505
- Last Updated: Jan 4, 2023 2:03 PM
- URL: https://libguides.ucalgary.ca/guides/CUREs
- Print Page