Architecture & Design
Surveys of Type
Tips on Searching for Architectural Drawings in Library Catalogue
- Searches often retrieve both architectural drawings of buildings as well as books on developing architectural drawing skills so analyze results to narrow them to meet your information needs.
- Together with more unique search terms, add the following to your search expression:
- Architectural drawing or Architectural rendering or Designs plans in the SUBJECT field or in SEARCH ALL.
- Search plans or elevations or sections in SEARCH ALL and then NARROW YOUR SEARCH to Architecture or Building Construction, etc.
- Books primarily on Architectural drawing and design are LC classed at NA2695-2793
Teague, Edward H., 1952- World architecture index: a guide to illustrations. Westport, Conn. : Greenwood Press, 1991.
A reference tool for finding images of approximately 7,000 architectural works reproduced in more than 100 books likely to be available in libraries with architectural collections. The index is international in coverage; includes a variety of architectural, engineering, and planning works; and covers most historical periods and styles. Citations to reproductions of exterior and interior views, plans, sections, and elevations are provided, and access is enabled by building site, architect, type of work, and name of work indexes.
Avery Index to Architectural Periodicals
- The key architecture index
- Indexes more than 1,000 periodicals published worldwide on architecture
- Limit your search to the ILLUSTRATION field using the drop-down menu next to search box.
- Then enter applicable search terms, such as aerial, axonometric, chart(s), computer, det/details, diagr/diagram(s), drawing(s), elevation(s), ill/ills/illus, isometric, map(s), model(s), plan(s), plate(s), photo(s), port(s), secn/secns/sect/sections, site, sketches, table(s), view(s).
- Truncating the root of your search term with * is highly recommended as there are multiple abbreviations for each term in this index.
- Search "architectural archives" or "architectural drawing", etc. on Google
- Historic American Buildings Survey (US Library of Congress)
- Canadian Centre for Architecture
- University of Calgary Digital Archives (including some Canadian Architectural Archives)
- California State University WorldImages Database
- New York Public Library Digital Collections
- Smithsonian Institution
- Built Work Registry
- SAH Archipedia
- Digital Public Library of America
- Flickr Commons
- Wikimedia Commons
- Last Updated: Sep 29, 2023 3:56 PM
- URL: https://libguides.ucalgary.ca/guides/architecture-design
- Print Page